- New and Expanded Learning Resources available
- Learn about an available remote proctoring option for medical school testing, including an update on administering Customized Assessment Services exams
- NBME remains operational and we continue to explore alternate delivery options for products and services
- View updates about Prometric's on-site testing for select exam programs
- USMLE Program weekly updates and resources available in response to the changing environment
NBME Assessment Updates for Testing at Prometric Centers
NBME® exam programs are considered essential services programs (listed below) for testing at Prometric centers. For updates on site openings, please visit Prometric's announcement page.
Essential Services Programs include (in no particular order):
- USMLE® (Step 1, Step 2 Clinical Knowledge, and Step 3)
- North American Veterinary Licensing Examination® (NAVLE®)
- Certification examinations
- International Foundations of Medicine® (IFOM®)
- NBME® Subject Exams*
* NBME Subject Exams and IFOM are considered essential. However, to ensure that examinees for licensure and certification have a better chance of scheduling, NBME requests that medical schools use web-conferencing with remote proctoring for NBME Subject Exams and school-based administration of IFOM. More information is available here and in the NBME Services Portal.
For information about USMLE, please visit the announcement site here.
NBME will continue to share new information as it becomes available. We recognize the stress and uncertainty of this situation as many assessment programs have been impacted. We are actively working with the medical education and regulation community to help mitigate the impact of testing disruption on examinees.
April 3, 2020
Across the globe, schools and workplaces have adopted social distancing policies and closed where necessary to mitigate the spread of the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). These necessary preventive measures at locations where people learn and do business impact many people. They have also caused a temporary interruption for those scheduled to take an assessment administered through NBME.
NBME is fast-tracking investigations into alternative assessment delivery methods for physicians, medical school faculty, and students to enable the continuity of the medical education system during this unprecedented time in our history. To do this, staff is actively working by virtual means to follow guidance from health officials.
Read an Update to NBME Test Administrations at Medical Schools.
Assessment information updates and resources are available through the following sources:
- NBME Twitter (@NBMEnow) and our website
- USMLE information: website and weekly updates
- World Health Organization information
- Center for Disease Control news
Questions? Contact NBME Customer Support at https://www.nbme.org/contact or 215-590-9700