NBME Examinations Rules and Conduct
Security & Integrity of NBME Examinations
The examination materials used in the NBME examinations are the confidential, copyrighted property of the NBME. If you reproduce and/or distribute examination materials, by any means, including reconstruction through memorization without the express written consent of the NBME, you are in violation of the rights of the owners. Every legal means available to protect NBME examination materials and secure redress against those who violate copyright law may be pursued.
- The confidentiality of examination content must be maintained at all times. You are prohibited from communicating, publishing, reproducing, or transmitting any part of your exam, in any form, or by any means, verbal or written, for any purpose.
- If you become aware of any suspicious activity related to an NBME exam administration, notify the proctor or submit a report.
- The NBME reserves the right to discontinue examination services to an institution at any time in order to maintain the security and integrity of the NBME’s examination programs.
Test Day Rules and Procedures
- Do not bring any personal/unauthorized items into the secure testing area. Such items include but are not limited to, outerwear, hats, food, drinks, purses, briefcases, notebooks, notes, pagers, watches, cell phones, recording devices, and photographic equipment.
- You are not permitted to access any unauthorized items during the exam administration.
- Do not make notes on your note board prior to entering your CIN or start up code. Once your exam begins, you are permitted to make calculations or notes ONLY on the erasable note board provided.
- You must adhere to the instructions provided by proctors administering the examination.
- Carefully review and agree to abide by any instructions provided or that appear at the start of the examination session.
- Test proctors are not authorized to answer questions from examinees regarding examination content, testing software or scoring.
- Do not leave the testing site at any time during your administration unless you inform and obtain permission from the testing proctor or are instructed to so do by test administration staff.
- Failure to follow test day rules and procedures may result in the withholding or cancellation of your scores, and/or a bar from future exams administered by the NBME.
Test Administration at Prometric
If you are testing at a Prometric test center, please review the instructions on your scheduling permit and familiarize yourself with Prometric’s testing center regulations
Contacting NBME about a Security Concern
NBME encourages you to provide information concerning any activity of which you are aware that may compromise the security and integrity of the NBME’s examinations. Please contact NBME using our contact form to report such information.